12 Awesome Social Media Facts
April 4, 2016
Written by Douglas Shaw
For you marketers and social media geeks.Here are some amazing facts about social media. Is it true? You become the social media you use.
- Google has acquired up to date 170 companies so far. Naming one, Google closed a $3.2 billion dollar purchase of Nest Labs. Google revealed that it would acquire the maker of the Learning thermostat and the Protect Smoke and Carbon-Monoxide Detector as part of its goal to make its mark in smart-home systems. (CNET)
- Instagram has more active users than twitter. At the end of 2014 Instagram grew to more than 300 million active users, passing twitters active user base of 284 million users. Instagram users love the Instagram visual focus feature, and it shows, Instagram has 50 times more engagement than twitter.
- Facebook was looking that many users were migrating to twitter but we can say that Facebook might be around for a while.
- Facebook announced on February 19 the purchase of Whatsapp in a $19 billion dollar deal. Reports have shown that Whatsapp has earned total revenues of about 20 million just last year.
- We are still completely addicted to Facebook. Of all time we spend on the internet, 15.8% is spent on Facebook, 63% of us and growing visit Facebook daily, and around 23% of us log in at least five times per day.
- As of today, 751 million users access Facebook from mobile via 7,000 different devices.
- In case you have never heard of Whatsapp; it is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows users to exchange messages. It is available for iPhone, blackberry, android, windows phones and Nokia. As of January 2015 whatsapp has passed 800 million active users and growing.
- Whatsapp users check their app at least 23 times per day.
Social media fact:
- Whether you like, ignore, or hate ads on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest – it is estimated that marketers will spend $8.3 billion dollars on Social Media advertising in 2015. Those ads will not soon disappear. – Social Networks will earn $8.3 billion dollars from ads this year.
Global E-commerce fact:
- Global e-commerce sells are currently at more than $1.2 Trillion dollars and its projected that by mid 2015, 5% – or 15 billion dollars of online shopping will be done via social media. Social commerce is changing the way we buy things.
- Twitters fastest growing age demographically is 55 to 64 year old adults with active users of 79%.
- Twitter users send out 58 million tweets per day, with 9,100 happening every second. However, there are 222 million Twitters who just watch other users tweets.
- Some research shows that there are 4.8 billion mobile users but only 4.2 billion people with a toothbrush. Apparently, there are 600 million more people that own a mobile phone compared to those who own a toothbrush.