Questions: Which and What?
April 4, 2019
Written by Douglas Shaw
What is the difference between “which and what”.
There is not much difference between which and what. Both are possible.
- Which is your favorite song?
- What is your favorite song?
Which: is used when the number of choices is limited.
- We have got silver and black phones. Which will you have?
What: is used when the number of choices is unlimited.
- What’s your phone number?
What and which are normally used to ask about things.
- What movie would you like to watch?
Before the noun, which and what can be used to ask questions about both things and people.
- What time is it?
- Which teacher do you like best?
Before the noun with a determiner (the, my, this) use which of.
- Which of your teachers do you like best?